Basti therapy is one of the five treatments from Panchakarma therapy. The role of Panchakarma therapy is to cleanse the body of toxins and restore your health and wellness. The Panchakarma therapy consists of five ayurvedic treatments, each meant to cure a unique symptom.
Basti therapy is an important part of ayurvedic treatments, helping to treat a number of ailments including constipation, low back pain, rheumatism, gout, arthritis, hemiplegia, and more. To learn more about basti therapy, continue with our blog. In this blog, we will discuss the benefits, types, and processes of basti therapy, in addition to more.
A] What Is Basti Therapy?
As briefly mentioned above, Basti therapy is a part of the Ayurvedic Panchakarma therapy. Basti in Ayurveda is considered to be the most effective and important therapy in panchakarma for removing toxins from the body. In this therapy, medicated ghee, herbal oils, or any other medical fluid is introduced into the rectum for better delivery to the colon.
This procedure not only improves colon health but has far-reaching benefits for your health. Basti therapy helps in the complete and healthy elimination of faeces, urine, bile, and other excreta from the small and large intestines, which reduces the likelihood of various diseases.
B] How Does Basti Treatment Work?
It is to be noted that Basti kriya should be conducted in a safe manner by a trained medical professional and Ayurvedic practitioner. The patient is usually prepared mentally and physically for the therapy, beforehand. The preparation process includes oil massages, steam therapy, and specialized diets.
During the Basti treatment, the trained professional creates a concoction of herbal oils called Basti. The patient has to lie on their left side with their left leg extended or stretched out and their right leg folded in front. The practitioner then introduces warm oil into the rectum with the help of a syringe or oil pot with a spout. The oil is kept for 10 minutes to help lubricate the rectum for further treatment.
The Basti is then introduced into the colon and retained for another 30 minutes. After the treatment, patients can allow the passage of the fluid and faecal matter via excretion. Patients must also avoid eating, unless completely necessary.
C] Different Types Of Basti Therapies
- Anuvasana Basti (Oil Enema): Anuvasana Basti, also known as Sneha Basti is the administration of oil or ghee. It offers appropriate lubrication to the intestine and the colon and helps with frequent constipation. In escalating doses, Anuvasana Basti can be an effective alternative to Snehapana.
- Niruha Basti (Decoction Enema): In Niruha Basti, a trained practitioner safely administers a decoction of herbal tea into the rectum. The decoction is kept for a few minutes or half an hour to allow the body to remove toxins accumulated.
- Matra Basti (Small Enema): Matra Basti improves the colon’s function and strengthens the digestive tract. It can be used to lubricate the large intestine or performed to prepare the colon for other Basti karma.
- Ksheera Basti (Milk Enema): Ksheera Basti is meant to nourish your digestive tract and improve immunity and health. This type of Basti therapy uses milk with a mixture of medications to relieve constipation and chronic stomach pain.
- Yogavasti (Yogic Enema): In Yogavasti, commonly known as Yogic Enema, the patient must sit partially submerged in water in a yogic position. This helps the intestine to suck in the water and then throw it out to help remove the waste.
D] The Benefits Of Basti Treatment
1. Internal NourishmentBasti treatments such as Ksheera Basti and Yogavasti can help in the nourishment of the body. As Basti directly affects the colon, the nourishment from the medicated concoctions can reach deep within the body. Internal nourishment also helps to improve immunity.
2. DetoxificationBasti therapy helps to eliminate the toxins and Vata dosha accumulated in the colon. The colon is the most prominent place for bacteria and a number of diseases to thrive. By directly affecting the colon, Basti effectively removes harmful toxins.
3. Digestive HealthMost patients who seek Ayurvedic Basti treatment are suffering from some form of digestive problem. Basti treatment can effectively cure a number of digestive issues such as constipation, flatulence, bloating, and indigestion. It helps in healthy and regular bowel movements and promotes digestive health.
4. Nervous System SupportBasti therapy is an effective remedy for stress, anxiety, and mental tension. By helping to reduce these mental health problems, it ensures a strong and healthy nervous system.
5. Pain ReliefBy helping to attain proper bowel movements, Basti therapy can also help patients facing chronic and frequent stomach aches. Proper detoxification also reduces the chances of inflammation.
E] How Does The Basti Procedure Help Balance Vata Doshas?
Vata dosha refers to the problems caused by the air and water in the body. This usually causes problems with the nervous system and respiratory system. However, it has a broad-reaching effect on the body, affecting the colon and immune system.
Basti therapy eliminates the toxins that affect the body’s nervous system and cures problems such as inflammation, constipation, and bloating; thus, balancing Vata Doshas. If you are facing any such issues with your nervous system, digestion, or colon, visit our wellness retreat in India. We offer safe and effective Basti chikitsa by trained, qualified, and experienced professionals.
Basti treatment is a vital treatment in Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment. It helps to remove toxins from the body and strengthen the immune and nervous systems, in addition to many other benefits.
If you are longing for a natural remedy for Vata dosha, such as chronic constipation, pain, and indigestion, our natural retreat might be the best place for you. Fazlani Nature’s Nest is a unique place to heal and rejuvenate. To book a retreat, contact us today! Email us at email@example.com or call at 7700070070.
Yes, Basti is an effective therapy for healthy weight loss. Research shows that patients lose somewhere between 2-4% of their weight and body fat.
Basti treatment is usually administered in two consecutive phases. Phase one lasts approximately 10 minutes, while phase two lasts for about 30 minutes.
Prior to Basti therapy, patients must only consume light and easily digestible food. Patients must avoid any processed, fried, or sugary foods. Our dieticians and trained professionals will provide complete instructions to the patients.
The frequency of Basti Panchakarma therapy depends on the Individual. It is advisable to consult with a professional to understand your body’s needs to detoxify. Another factor that you need to consider is the Basti Panchakarma cost.